Sunday, May 31, 2009

Journal: New York to Boston


Semi-delirious from sleep-deprivation, exhaustion, and a wee puff , I waited in a ticketed-passenger lounge in Penn Station. Dispossessed stragglers roamed through the station corridors with no place to sit.
At 3 AM the train to Boston arrived and I boarded it for the last ride of the East-bound half of my trip. Typically, passengers who had boarded at earlier stops were half-asleep as people came and went. Not long after I had settled-in, the young lady across from me stirred. She became increasingly upset as she rummaged through her belongings and she quickly determined that her wallet was gone.
As discussions with other passengers and train staff ensued, it emerged that she had been caught by thieves with a recognized modes operandi. They take these late night trains counting on the probability that other passengers will be asleep. Then they exit at the stop before New York city. As they do, a team of two works the aisles looking for and snatching valuables from unsuspecting sleepers.
Her fate was somewhat mitigated by the fact that she would be met at the airport by friends. She was also able to immediately call her credit card issuer. I offered a few words of sympathy and fell asleep myself somewhere in Connecticut. But as always my money, traveler's checks, tickets and other essentials were kept on my person. Moreover, I am a rather light sleeper.

As I was beginning to see was customary, the train staff didn't seem much comfort.



(Journal will continue soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment